A General Guideline for Sharing the Wedding Cost
Working out a budget for your wedding is one of the first things that should be done. And deciding who pays for what can be one of the most stressful parts. But take a deep breath; we’ve got you covered. Below is a traditional breakdown of wedding expenses shared by the family and the wedding party.
- Bride and family pay for bride’s wedding dress and accessories.
- Groom and family pay for groom’s wedding attire.
- All bridal party (bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl, and ring bearer) pay for their own clothing and accessories.
- Bride pays for groom’s wedding ring.
- Groom pays for bride’s engagement ring and wedding ring.
- Bride and family pay for wedding ceremony costs, including rental fees and decorations.
- Groom and family pay for marriage license and fee for the officiant.
- Bride and family pay for wedding reception costs (e.g., site fees, food, cake, bar, gratuities, and decorations).
Music and Entertainment
- Bride and family pay for music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception.
- Bride and family pay for flowers and decorations for the ceremony and reception, plus bridesmaids’ bouquets and groom’s boutonniere.
- Groom and family pay for bride’s bouquet, corsages for mothers, and boutonnieres for fathers and groomsmen.
Photography and Videography
- Bride and family pay for wedding photography and videography.
- Bride and family pay for wedding invitations and RSVPs, announcements, save the date, wedding programs, guestbook, and other paper goods.
- Groom and family pay for all rehearsal dinner costs.
- Groom and family pay for the honeymoon.
- Bride and family pay for wedding transportation of bridal party to the ceremony and reception.
- Bride and family pay for the cost of a wedding planner.
- Bride pays for gifts for the bridesmaids and flower girl.
- Groom pays for gifts for the groomsmen and ring bearer.
- Traditionally, the parents of the bride host engagement party.
- Groom’s family hosts the rehearsal dinner.
- Bride hosts bridesmaids’ luncheon.
- Groom hosts bachelors’ dinner.
- Maid of honor and bridesmaids host bridal shower and bachelorette party.
- Best man and groomsmen host bachelor party.
Photography: Erin Lassahn
Floral Design: Edge Floral
Event Design and Coordination: Evoke DC