Honeymoon Destination: Experience the Tropical Oasis at Cancun, Mexico (Part I)
Vibrant nightlife, monumental treasures, dazzling white beaches: These are just a few great things to expect in Cancun during your honeymoon. Located in the northern region of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, this fascinating city has become one of the Caribbean’s most popular travel destinations. Known for its rich cultural attractions and impressive Mayan sites, Cancun is an interesting historical hot spot for travel enthusiasts. Lovers of the great outdoors are fascinated with the Riviera Maya’s stunning coral formations, which make for a great snorkeling or scuba diving experience in crystal clear ocean waters. You can also expect a mix of luxury shopping boutiques and charming outdoor markets in downtown Cancun to feed your appetite for gifts and souvenirs. This tropical destination has a bit of everything for everyone! Before you book your flight and pack away your sunscreen, take a look at these important tips for making your trip to Cancun a complete success.
Top Image: ME Cancun
- Entry Requirement: Passport is required (more information)
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Mexican Peso (check currency exchange)
- Flight Time From: New York – 3 hours, Los Angeles – 4 hours, Miami – 1 hour (check flight rate)
- Cancun Airport: Cancún International Airport (check airport information)
- Time Zone: CST – Central Standard Time. Cancun time zone is six hours earlier than Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) (check current local time)
- Electricity: The standard is 110 volts. Many sockets do not accept polarized or three-prong plugs, so it is recommended that you bring your own adapter.
- Area Code: 998
- Tipping: 10-15% of the total bill in restaurants and bars
- Weather: The weather in Cancun is generally sunny all year round (check current weather). The rainy season runs from September through November; hurricane season swirls from September to October. The average maximum and minimum temperatures are:
From January to March: 68 °F to 86 °F
From April to June: 71 °F to 89 °F
From July to September: 75 °F to 91 °F
From October to December: 68 °F to 87 °F
- When to Visit for the Best Price: May to mid-December (check hotel deals)
Getting Around Cancun: It’s super easy and inexpensive to navigate Cancun by bus, which you can catch to most places within Cancun (in fact, there is a bus every hour from Cancun Airport to downtown Cancun). From the downtown Cancun bus terminal you will find regular services to all parts of Mexico. Before hopping in to a taxi to see this beautiful city, be sure to check the fare!
We know you can’t wait to see Cancun. But first, take a look at Part II of our Cancun honeymoon guide for information on the best local attractions and Part III for a list of the top hotel hot spots. Then, be on your way to planning an awesome honeymoon experience!