As a maid of honor or bridesmaid, you may be asked to pull together a bridal shower for the bride to be. Not exactly sure where to begin? Well, here’s a simple checklist outlining all the steps you’ll need to take toward creating a beautiful and exciting bridal shower party!
- Select a date: Ideally, bridal showers are held about two weeks to two months prior to the wedding. The earlier the event, the better.
- Discuss with the bridesmaids to determine a budget: As a rule, bridal shower guests should never be expected to pay for their meal.
- Ask the bride for a guest list: As the host, you should set the number of guests you’re comfortable inviting. However, anyone you invite to the shower should also be invited to the wedding.
- Decide on a theme: The theme should match the bride’s interests and taste.
- Pick the location: Go with a nearby venue or your own home.
- Buy or make an invitation: If the bridal shower will be a surprise, be sure to mention that on the invitation. Also, it’s a good idea to include shower registry information on the invitations as well.
Four to Six Weeks Before the Shower
- Send shower invitations: Make sure you include directions to the party and shower registry!
- Decide on flowers, decorations and centerpieces: Party décor should be cohesive and should complement the party’s theme.
- Order tables, chairs, linens, and other rentals if needed.
- Create a menu: If you know the bride’s favorite cuisine, putting together a menu will be a no brainer!
- Purchase party favors for the guests, food prep/serving items, and other party props.
- Prepare shower games and activities.
- Assign tasks and DIY projects to bridesmaids: You may need to assemble and/or gift-wrap party favors.
The Week of the Shower
- Buy a bridal shower gift for the bride. As a rule of thumb, spend $30 to $50 on a gift.
- Follow up with guests who have yet to reply.
- Purchase food and prepare a schedule for making food, if needed.
- Confirm reservations, orders, and delivery times, if any.
One Day Before the Shower
- Follow up with the bridesmaids: Verify who’s bringing what, and ask them to arrive early to help set up.
- Prepare menu items that can be made beforehand (or just do the prep work).
- Set up decorations, tables, food and drink serving areas, if the shower is hosted at home.
Day of the Shower
- Make sure the house or venue is clean.
- Decorate the party space.
- Set out drinks and food.
- Create a space for the gift opening: Under the guest of honor’s chair, place scissors, large trash bags, a notebook and a pen (to record gifts and their givers) etc.
- Prepare the games and activities.
- Have fun at the party!
Featured Cover Image via ButtercupBlossom