Your wedding officiant is a key player who sets the tone for your entire wedding ceremony, so be sure to find the perfect person to lead your special day. In doing so, take charge of the interview process by asking these crucial questions.
Questions on the Officiant’s Service
- How many weddings have you officiated? Are you available on my wedding date?
- Do you have a written contract? What is your fee or is a donation acceptable? What services are included in your fee? Will you charge extra for travel expenses or the wedding rehearsal? Do you require a deposit? What is your cancellation policy?
- Have you ever been late to or missed a wedding? What’s the backup plan if you get sick?
- What is your official attire for the wedding day?
- Would you perform the ceremony outside the place of worship?
- If the wedding is out of town, are you willing to travel?
- Do you allow photography or videography during the ceremony?
- Do you have any restrictions pertaining to music?
- Are there restrictions pertaining to wedding attire?
- Will you attend the wedding rehearsal?
- Do you require any pre-marital counseling or a religious class?
- How many pre-wedding meetings will we have with you? Are you available for questions?
- When and where will we sign the marriage license? After the ceremony, will you be responsible for mailing the license to the state?
- How many witnesses do we need to sign the marriage license? Are there any requirements regarding who can be a witness?
Questions about the Ceremony
- Typically, how long does the ceremony last?
- For interfaith marriages: Can another officiant of the other faith participate in the service?
- Will you give a sermon or speech? If so, can we see a copy of your sermon or speech prior to the wedding? Will you incorporate some light-hearted humor if we request it?
- Can you do personalized rituals within the ceremony, such as a Hand Blessing, Rose Ceremony, Unity Candle, or Sand Ceremony (uniting of your two families)?
- May we write our own vows? If so, will you offer guidance?
- Can family members/friends participate in the service (e.g., readings, prayers, songs)?
Find a civil servant or ceremony officiant in your area here.
Featured Image: NOYA Bridal