How do you know which photographer is right for you? Here are the key questions you should ask when interviewing the photographer.
Background Check & Logistics
- Are you available on my wedding date? Do you have liability insurance?
- How many years of experience do you have in shooting weddings?
- How many weddings have you personally photographed? Have you shot any weddings that were similar to what I envision in style and size?
- Can you provide a portfolio of the recent weddings you have photographed from start to finish?
- Have you ever worked with my vendors, such as my videographer and wedding planner?
- Have you shot at my ceremony or reception venue before?
- Do you have any backup equipment? What is your backup plan if you (or my scheduled photographer) are unable to shoot my wedding for any reason?
- Will you be shooting my wedding? If not, can I meet with the scheduled photographer beforehand?
- Will you have assistants with you on the wedding day?
- What is your wedding photography style? Traditional, artistic, or photojournalistic?
- What is your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background and shoot what unfolds naturally, or do you create a more visible presence by taking charge and choreographing shots?
- Do you shoot film, digital, or both?
- Do you shoot in black and white, color, or both?
Photography Packages and Payment
- What packages do you offer? Do you include engagement photos in your packages? How many hours of shooting is included in each photography package?
- Do you offer the option of customizing a package?
- What is your overtime rate?
- Do you charge a travel fee for weddings that are located outside of your area? If so, what does this travel fee cover?
- How much is the deposit and when is it due? What about the remaining balance?
- What is your policy on refunds and cancellation?
- What are the different types of album designs that you offer?
- Do you offer retouching, color adjustments, or other corrective services?
- After the wedding, how long will I have to wait to receive the proofs?
- What is your ordering process for photos and albums?
- Can I print my photos and share on social media? Do I have access to the high res images?