Here is a breakdown of how much the wedding day hair and makeup will cost:
- On the low end, you can expect to pay around $70 for hair and makeup. This includes a one-time makeup application, and either an up-do or partial up-do at the salon.
- A mid-range price is around $150 for a more experienced artist who will travel to the wedding site.
- On the high end, you can expect to pay $300-$500 or more, for a well known artist to travel to the wedding site and also stay on hand for touch-ups during photos.
- Costs for hair and makeup will vary by location. Larger cities can charge double or triple the prices of smaller cities.
- Makeup artists may also charge more if they are required to travel to the wedding site, and bill an hourly rate of $50-$125 or more to remain on hand for touchups.
- The average cost for hair and makeup is $185.
What is Included
- Most makeup artists offer a free consultation and provide a trial run a few months or weeks before the wedding day. Others may charge $100 or more for these services.
- Some makeup artists may ask that you provide some or all of the makeup products.
- Don’t forget to include a tip for your makeup artist and hairstylist! The tip should be 15%-25% of the total cost.
Money Saving Tips
- Some studios may offer package discounts for a group of family members or attendants who receive hair and makeup services from the same business.
Things to Consider When Finding Your Wedding Day Hair and Makeup Artist
- Take photos of colors and styles you like, as well as a photo of your dress to your consultation. Let the stylist experiment, and when you find a look that you are happy with, make sure that the artist writes everything down.
- Hand applied makeup can last for up to 8-10 hours, while airbrushed makeup lasts for a few hours longer. Keep this in mind while thinking about the logistics of your wedding day and how long you would need your makeup to last for the celebration.
- Begin your search early! Popular and sought-after hair stylists or makeup artists are booked a year or more in advance.