Finding a stellar makeup artist that you feel comfortable with is not an easy task, but it doesn’t have to be a daunting one either. To help simplify the process, we put together a list of questions you should consider asking before officially hiring the makeup artist.
Background Check and Logistics
- How many years of experience do you have of working with brides? How many weddings have you done in the past year alone?
- Do you have references I can call?
- Do you have a portfolio?
- Do you have a backup, in case you can’t make it at the last minute on the wedding day?
- Will you be working any other events on the day of my wedding? (You don’t want her to have to rush off to another appointment)
- Will you come to me or would I have to go to your studio?
- How long will it take to complete my makeup?
- Will you stay around for touch-ups? If not, would it be possible for you to teach me how to do it myself?
- What kind of lighting is required?
- Will you have an assistant? If so, can I meet him/her and what is your assistant’s experience in doing bridal makeup?
- What size bridal party can you accommodate? Will you be doing my bridal party’s makeup or will your assistant? How long will it take?
- Is it possible to schedule a trial run? How long will the trial run take and what is included in the trial run?
Price and Payment
- What are your rates and payment policy for the bride, bridesmaids, and other attendants?
- Do you charge a fee for travel? How far would you travel for that fee and what other travel-related expenses would I need to cover?
- Is the trial run included in your services? If not, how much is the trial?
- Is there a charge for a re-trail if I change my mind about my bridal beauty look?
- What is the additional costs for you to stay on site for touch-ups after the wedding ceremony and during the reception?
- Are there any extra day-of charges?
- What look do you think works best for me? (You want the artist to enhance your personal facial features, rather than doing a cookie cutter look)
- Will you bring your own make up and supplies? Will I have to provide any tools?
- What kind of prep should I do before the trial and before the wedding?
- If the makeup artist won’t stay at the wedding: Can you provide me with makeup products that I can use for touch-ups during the wedding?
- What makeup products and brands do you use? Are these products good for photography and will it match my skin type?
- How can I keep my makeup looking fresh for the whole day? How will the products wear and what color-matched products will be needed for touch ups?
- Do you apply false lashes?
Featured Hairstyle: Elstile