This is the ultimate checklist of everything you need to plan your dream wedding reception.
1. First Things First
- Pick the wedding date.
- Choose your reception theme.
2. Wedding Venue
- Book and reserve a reception venue.
- Verify with your reception venue to make sure your vendors will have access to the site when they need it.
- Drop off favors, place cards, guest book, toasting flutes, and all other reception items at the venue before the wedding day.
3. Plan Your Wedding Reception Food and Beverages
- Hire a caterer if needed.
- Attend a tasting event.
- Finalize the menu and service details with caterer.
- Choose your beverages including soft drinks, wine, champagne, and liquor.
- Give final head count to the caterer. Confirm set-up instructions and menu items.
- Figure out dessert for the reception.
4. Wedding Cake
- Hire a wedding cake vendor.
- Make an order for your wedding cake.
- Confirm details such as head count, delivery time, and location with wedding cake vendor
5. Wedding Reception Music
- Hire a band or a DJ. Select MC.
- Select songs for introductions, first dance, cake cutting, father & daughter dance, anniversary dance, and last dance.
- Compile a list of “must-play” and “do-not-play” songs.
- Hire a florist.
- Confirm number of bouquets, boutonnieres, and centerpieces with your florist.
- Make a list of who will get bouquets, corsages, and boutonnieres. Have someone oversee this on the wedding day.
- Confirm delivery location, time, and setup arrangements with your florist.
7. Photography and Videography
- Hire a photographer.
- Hire a videographer.
- Confirm location, date, and time with your photographer and videographer.
- Create your must-take photo list.
- Find rentals suppliers if you need to rent chairs, tent, furnitures, dance floor, etc..
- Finalize and confirm your order for event rentals.
9. Other Important Wedding Reception Items
- Order wedding favors.
- Create a reception timeline.
- Creating reception seating chart.
- Prepare your toasts.