Your wedding day is all about you and your significant other, so why not customize the day to make it unique and personal? Couples don’t always follow certain wedding traditions and follow the trends — feel free to personalize your special day with whatever you’d like and only stick to traditions that are important to you. These wedding planning tips are sure to inspire you for creating your own traditions!
1. A big tradition is to do a father/daughter dance at your wedding, but many people don’t think about doing a mother/daughter dance. This is a special way to honor your mom and a memory that will last forever — EVOKE DC.
2. Remember to make your wedding special by incorporating elements that are unique to you and your significant other. It is perfectly acceptable to break out of the typical wedding traditions and do something that is meaningful to the both of you. After all, it’s your wedding, so you should do it the way you both want! Happy planning — Margaret Ochoa of Creatively Inspired Events.
3. Skip the traditions that don’t fit your style! Weddings are filled to the brim with traditions. I think it’s time for these unwritten wedding rules to be broken. Some brides would choose not to wait until the ceremony for their first look, while others don’t want to toss the bouquet. Participate in the wedding traditions that fit your personalities, and skip the ones that don’t — Kayla Marie of Some Like It Classic.
4. Be authentic. Forgo the trends to create an experience that represents your relationship — Alison Laesser-Keck of VLD Events.
5. These days, the “rules” surrounding weddings are much more fluid, so you shouldn’t feel like you have to follow general or familial traditions unless they are meaningful to you. If a big white cake isn’t your thing, have a donut bar and cut a bundt cake! If you really aren’t sure about including something in your day, ask yourself, “Would I be sad ten years from now if I didn’t do this?” — Rachael Foster of Rachael Foster Photography.