Here is a list of all the important questions to ask your wedding band or DJ before making a final decision on who to hire:
Background Check & Logistics
- Are you available on my wedding date? Do you have liability insurance?
- How many years of experience do you have of performing at weddings?
- What is your specialty or music style? Do you have a demo that we can watch online?
- Is the recording on your website broadcasted live or produced in a studio? Is the sound technically enhanced?
- If booking through an agency: Are the musicians that we hear on the recording the same artists that will be at our wedding?
- What options do we have when it comes to the size of the band and number of vocalists?
- Are you familiar with our reception space and its acoustic, power, and amplification requirements? If not, will you be checking with the venue beforehand?
- Does our reception site have the space and electrical capabilities that you will need?
- Do you require any additional equipment or instrument rentals?
- What size stage do you require or prefer working with? Do you need a particular style of stage?
- What will be your performance attire? Is there an additional cost for tuxes?
- Do you require meals?
- Who will do the setup? When is the setup start time and how long is needed? Can you be set up and playing before the first guests walk in?
- How many breaks will you take, and how long would each break be?
- Do all the members take a break at the same time, or will you rotate so that live music will be constantly playing?
- Will there be recorded music playing during the breaks?
- If a band member(s) becomes ill or has an emergency on the day of the wedding, what kind of backup plan do you have?
- Do you have a backup plan if there is an equipment malfunction?
Reception, Music, and Songs
- Will you provide song suggestions if I have a special wedding theme?
- Will you be able to act as an emcee and announce the first dance, toasts, and cake cutting etc.?
- What is your general approach to playing at weddings and how do you pace the event and motivate the crowd?
- Do you take requests from us of songs to play and not to play?
- Do you take requests from guests? How do you handle their song requests?
- If you are not familiar with any of the songs I request, will you learn them? How many would you be willing to learn, and how much advance notice do you need? Is there an additional charge?
Packages and Payment
- What is your total fee? How many hours of playing time does that include?
- How many pieces of instruments are included, and which instruments?
- Will you play overtime, and if so, what is your overtime charge?
- Will any band members play at the ceremony and/or cocktail hour as well? If so, are there additional fees or a discount?
- What is the required deposit and when is the remaining balance due?
- What is your cancellation and refund policy?
Featured Cover Image: Victor Sizemore Photography